As cold weather begins to hit some of us (and we welcomesd Winter Storm Jonas just last week), we’ve been craving coziness and warmth bigtime. So when we came across this boosting hot chocolate recipe in Daily Health Post we had to give it a try. For a sweet pick-me-up with a twist:
Hot Cocoa with a Superfood kick. With a splash of trendy-for-good-reason turmeric (bursting with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties), this hot chocolate recipe satisfies your tastebuds as well as your health. And there’s a bonus: combining turmeric with black pepper has been shown to make the spice’s effect over 2000% more effective. (For more on optimizing turmeric absorption, click here).
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of alkaline water
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered turmeric
- a pinch of black pepper
- honey to taste
- 3 dashes of pure cinnamon
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- a pinch of Himalayan salt
- In a small saucepan, whisk coconut milk and water over medium heat.
- Just before it boils, remove from heat.
- Place into a tempered glass blender.
- Sift cocoa and maca powder through a fine mesh strainer and into the blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients.
- Blend at high speed until the milk gets nice and frothy.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Other Ingredient Perks: Cayenne pepper also fights inflammation and boosts metabolism, while the antioxidant effects of cocoa enhance cognition and offer neuron protection. Maca is often used to treat anemia and chronic fatigue syndrome, as it boosts energy, stamina, memory, fertility and athletic performance. This is not your ordinary hot chocolate. (Confession: we added marshmallows too for a little more sugary sweetness. Totally worth it.)
Recipe Source: Daily Health Post.